Thursday, 29 January 2015

Before and After Restoration

I was asked the other day why I don't write any posts here about restorations of the antique clothing items that I sell on Antique Historika.

So here we are. This is a turn of the 20th century nightgown. You can see in the 'before' photos what a pickle it was in. It was lovely to see the original silk ribbon in place (a pretty peach colour), even though it was completely shattered (you can see tiny bits of the ribbon on the floor next to my mannequin).

Late 1800s/Early 1900s Nightgown before Restoration


It is made from a light cotton. So pretty, and I love the high collar. It fastens with 2 linen buttons and handsewn button bars which are hidden.

Details of the nightgown I am restoring

You can see here that it was very, very grubby. General storage staining throughout, but the back also had these rather unsightly marks:-



Not very attractive. But after quite a lot of work, and the purchase of some new pink silk ribbon, she looks absolutely super:-

Apart from a good clean, and the ribbon replacement, there was nothing else to do. It has obviously been stored and barely used. There are no holes or marks. It is now in mint condition.

Late 1800s/Early 1900s Nightgown after Restoration
Rear of 1890s/Early 1900s Nightgown

I have just finished listing it for sale here

Naomi x