Thursday, 25 June 2015

Late 1880s Bustle Petticoat

As I haven't blogged much about what I have been working on for my customers lately, I thought that I would remedy that by posting this pretty 1880s bustle petticoat project I completed for one of my very valued regular customers.

We used these 2 petticoat drawings, and came up with a mixture of the 2:-

From Period Costume for Stage and Screen, 1800-1909

Illustration from the 1880s

I used one of the patterns from "Period Costume for Stage & Screen: Patterns for Women’s Dress 1800~1909" – Jean Hunnisett, adapting it for a bustle petticoat. My customer requested a placket and original Victorian button at each side of the petticoat, and a drawstring at the back. There are 2 darts to the front, and the petticoat is made up of 5 panels. For the rear ruffles, she debated about having plain fabric or this gorgeous broderie anglaise trim. I'm very glad that she chose the latter, as it looks wonderful. And strangely enough, I saw an extant 1880s petticoat with broderie anglaise trim on ebay just about the same time as I was completing this; the first one I have come across. The lace and ribbon trim around the hem is the customer's own, which adds a lovely touch I think.

Cotton Late 1880s Bustle Petticoat with Broderie Anglaise Ruffles

I very much enjoyed this project, especially as I haven't done much at all from the 1880s. I am beginning to fall in love with the Victorian period.

Naomi x