Wednesday, 9 March 2016

Antique Regency Child's Chemisette c.1800-1820s

I must offer my excuses for being quiet during the first couple of months of the year. Before Christmas, the men we had redoing our kitchen unfortunately left their van in the wrong gear, and it rolled down our drive and ploughed into my workroom. No-one was hurt thankfully, but it left some damage to the wall both inside and out, so I have been working all over the house, in a higgeldy piggeldy chaotic mess. Thankfully this week I am now back in, so can return to work proper. :-)

A couple of months ago I came across this wonderful item: a child's Regency era chemsiette. I have never seen one before, so was delighted! Here it is:-

Regency Era Child's Chemisette






It has already gone to a very good home.

Details:-
The fabric is a fine muslin. It has shoulder seams, and a more robust front button hem than you find on ladies' chemisettes. The whitework is beautiful, with tiny ears of wheat adorning the neckline. It closes with 2 tiny ceramic buttons. The neckline shape is square. To the front there are 2 holes at the bottom on each side, where a pin would have been used to keep it closed (I was quite interested to see this!).

Measurements:
From Centre Back to Hem~ 9 1/2" or 24.5cm
Width at Widest (shoulder to shoulder)~ 13 1/2" or 43.5cm

Naomi x